What is Mobile Device Management (MDM)?
Smart mobile devices have become a requirement for business in today's world. Smart phones such as the iPhone and tablets like the iPad access company email, contacts and calendaring systems, hold Office documents and PDFs with proprietary information, and have access via VPN to the corporate network. It is vital to track, deploy, and manage these devices whether they are provided by the corporation or owned directly by the end users.
Mobile Device Management (MDM) Systems are the means to control your mobile fleet. MDM solutions provide a deep range of functionality in five major areas:
- Activate devices using SMS, Email, URL and other flexible options
- Enroll corporate and employee-liable devices individually or in scale
- Authenticate users and devices through basic and directory services-based authentication
- Instantly configure policies, settings, certificates and access to enterprise accounts over the air
- Wirelessly provision internal and recommended apps through the enterprise app catalog
- Ensure authorized and compliant devices have secured access to enterprise resources and accounts
- Protect personal and corporate data and the entire device through encryption and passcode policies
- Prevent unauthorized device use by locking down device features and enforcing restrictions
- Audit devices for compliance with corporate policies, settings, applications, third parties and more
- Automate business policies for non-compliant or jailbroken devices
- Monitor both devices and network health status and statistics for exceptions
- Track user activity, such as app downloads, voice, SMS and data usage against pre-defined thresholds, white or black lists
- Monitor system access and console user activity through detailed event logs
- Set up alerts and automated business rules for specific device or network actions, user actions or system performance
- Generate actionable reports with automated distribution across IT team
- Streamline and automate mobile asset and inventory management
- Update and provision new policies, settings, certificates, apps, software and access to enterprise accounts - Exchange Active Sync, Wi-Fi, VPN, CA, LDAP and more - over the air
- Push down configuration profiles, apps, software or remote lock/wipe commands on-demand, at a scheduled time or the next time a device or group of devices checks in
- Perform device diagnostic tests remotely to identify issues
- Provide remote assistance to mobile users and communicate from the console via SMS messaging
- Take remote control of a device for more efficient troubleshooting
- Provide users with remote management capabilities through a self-service portal
- Manage troubleshooting cases and system incidents using an integrated case management system
Sollos provides MDM solutions for iOS devices as well as MDM systems that manage a variety of platforms including Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Android.
Contact Sollos Technology Solutions today for more information on how Mobile Device Management can help your company.